Sunday, May 25, 2014

OPI Designer Series (and an explanation for my absence)

Hey guys!  Long time, no blog!  Now that my fifth year of pharmacy school is over, I'm starting clinical rotations, and my hours at this first one are LONG.  I'm doing 7 days on/7 days off for a total of 2 1/2 weeks on, so this past week was my half week on and this weekend has been my half week off.  I'm not ready for 70 hour weeks yet! 

Anyway, since I've been working such long hours I haven't been changing my polish as often and I haven't been following the NPC prompts, which is why I haven't been posting.  I've been waiting til I could catch up.  But I don't like not posting, and with my hours what they are I don't think I'm ever going to catch up, let alone keep up!  So I've decided I'm going to take a break from the NPC for now.  It goes through the beginning of July, so I'll probably be back and maybe I'll even go back and do some of the ones I missed!  But for now I'm just going to post whatever I want whenever I can.

With that said, I'm going to try to start doing more swatch posts instead of just Nail of the Day-type posts. I recently got some older OPI Designer Series polishes from a blog sale, so I decided to start with swatches of all my DS Polishes!  See what I have below the jump!
These first few I did late in the evening on a cloudy day so I couldn't go outside to take pictures.  It was hard to get color-accurate photos in my polish room though, so I had to do some tweaking and color correction in Picasa.

First up is OPI DS Coronation, a scattered silver holo.  The first pic is two coats, the second is three coats.


I love that this is not just a scattered holo top coat, but a full coverage holo glitter.  The formula was great!


This one is actually still available on Amazon, and for a good price too--$5.50+$2.25 shipping!  DS Polishes usually retail for $12.50, and this one's discontinued, so that's a great deal!

Next is DS Reserve, a slightly coral pink scattered holographic.  This one was hard to get right.  It's a little more pink than my photos show.


This was another great formula.  Could have gotten away with one coat if I had been more careful, but what you see is two here.  This polish is still available, so you should be able to find it at Ulta, Amazon, or wherever else you buy OPI.


Next is DS Illuminate,  a brown scattered holo with a bit of a green flash to it.  This one was really hard to photograph, but I was able to correct it pretty well, which is why my fingers look like they're glowing.


This one had a good formula, but it was a little thin.  This is three coats here.  DS Illuminate is also discontinued, but it can usually still be found on Amazon and Ebay.  What a spread of prices there!


Next up is DS Extravagance, a raspberry scattered holo.


Another great formula.  Two coats here, but could have gotten away with one.  This one is also still available and can be found at Ulta and Amazon.


Next up is DS Magic, a blue glass fleck shimmer with a touch of purple shimmer also.  This was actually the hardest to capture.  It's quite a bit darker than in these photos, and I couldn't get the purple to come out at all.  The color in the bottle in the first picture is more accurate.  Here are some more accurate pictures from From Head To Toe.


The formula on this one was a bit tricky.  It was a little spotty and draggy on the first coat, but leveled out nicely on the second coat. This one is also discontinued, but not too bad on Amazon.


Last up is DS Radiance, which I thought was discontinued, but it turns out is still available.  I don't know why I never got this before!  DS Radiance is a slightly coral red scattered holo with some golden shimmer that did not come out to play in my photos.  These pictures are more color accurate because I took them out in the sun today!  Yay sun!


This had another great formula.  One coat would have been enough, but I did two for some extra depth.


I stamped some Greek images over this with Julep Harley and a new (to me) MoYou plate-- Explorer plate 18 (hey that technically works for Friday's NPC: Untried nail art supplies!)


 
Thanks for reading and I hope you'll stick with me through this crazy year of rotations!




No comments:

Post a Comment