Sunday, March 23, 2014

Back to Basics: Hand and Nail Care

Hey ladies!

I've decided to start doing a series of "Back to Basics" posts about nail care, polishing, maybe some nail art techniques eventually.  I recently put together a little kit for my good friend Kristin, who complains that her nails are dry and brittle, and just don't grow.  I thought I'd share what I included in the kit as a basic on hand and nail care.

I'm putting everything under a jump, cause this is a little long!


Here we go:

1) Hand Cream:
The thicker, the better.  Hand cream is typically thicker & richer than lotion, so it's more moisturizing.  We have a Crabtree & Evelyn outlet nearby and their hand cream is usually less than $5.  World Market also has some with great scents, and of course the holy grail is L'Occitane. Look for ingredients like shea butter or cocoa butter.  I have these little tubes stashed everywhere.  My desk at home, my purse, my backpack, the end table in the living room, in a drawer in my night stand, in my work scrubs, and in my white coat.  I am never far from a little tube of moisture.  Theoretically, I mean to use my hand cream every time I wash my hands and when I come in from the cold in the winter.  Realistically, I probably use it about two or three times a day.

2) Cuticle Oil:
Cuticle oil is like an intense moisturizer for your cuticles and nails.  I like CND Solar Oil, which can be found at Ulta, Sally Beauty Supply, and Beauty Brands, but there other good ones out there.  Look for things like avocado oil, almond oil, jojoba oil.  Honestly, even olive oil will do.  If I'm cooking or baking and I accidentally get oil on my hands, I just rub it in!  Solar Oil comes with a brush like a nail polish bottle, so I just brush it on my cuticles and then rub it into my cuticles and nails.  Other brands might have a dropper top, so for those you just squeeze a drop onto your cuticle, and rub in just the same.  Technically, you're supposed to use cuticle oil twice a day.  I pretty much just use it every time I do my nails, or if my cuticles are feeling particularly parched.  So maybe 3-4 times a week.

3) Protein Coat:
Protein coats are made to restore your nails when they are damaged.  There are different formulas for different problems.  I first got mine when my nails were recovering from a gel manicure.  They were soft, thin, and peeling, so I got Nailtiques Formula 2.  I got Kristin Nail Tek Therapy III for dry and brittle nails.  You can find these at Ulta or Sally's, among other places.  Generally these all have directions on the box that I recommend following.  They can be used alone, or as a base coat.

4) Quick-dry top coat

Seche Vite is my go-to top coat.  It really does "seche vite"!  Seche Vite can be found at Ulta and Sally's, and my mom even said she found a bottle at Walmart.  With this and my next product, I can paint my nails and be out the door in 10 min.  I often paint my nails at night, and if I use these two, I can go to bed 20-30 minutes after doing my nails and wake up without sheet prints!  Seche Vite is quite a bit thicker than most top coats, so it takes some getting used to.  There's no use trying to do thin coats.  It evens itself out perfectly and acts as a shield to protect your manicure!

5) Quick-Dry Spray (or drops):
I've tried a LOT of different quick-dry drops and sprays, and so far Orly Spritz Dry is my favorite.  It can be found at Ulta and Sally's also.  Just do a quick couple of sprays after a coat of Seche Vite, and again, you're good to go!


So that's it!  That's all you need in your starter kit for beautiful nails, and long-lasting manicures!  Is there anything you girls use that I missed?

2 comments:

  1. how big of a difference does the drying spray/drops make? I've never tried either since I use Seche Vite but drying faster is always better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never measured it exactly, but I'd say a few minutes at least. I can literally go to bed in about 10 minutes and not wake up with bed nails.

      Delete